COUNTING DOWN THE STORM (Temporarily Unavailable) A Novella by D. Ryan Leask
For two days the storm has taken over the city, and two people's lives. A man convinces himself that his life is worthless when his lover leaves him for another man. Alone and depressed, he allows his life to sink into the bowels of civilization. When a wife and mother discovers that her husband is having an affair she abandons logic and gives in to the perilous abyss of jealousy and revenge.
Re-Launch Tentatively Scheduled for Oct 17th:
¦Goodreads - For All E-Readers ¦Smashwords - For All E-Readers ¦Diesel E-Books Store - E-Pub ¦iTunes - For Your iPad/iPhone/Mac¦ ¦Kobo - For Your Kobo¦Sony - For Your Sony E-Reader¦Barnes & Noble - For Your Nook¦Direct From the Author - Mobi E-Pub or pdf¦

Monday, April 11, 2011

Live and Let Live With My Snooze Button and Thanks for Reading

I had a minor argument with my wife over my writing.  Basically I was mad because I wanted to do some writing when she wanted me to do some something other than writing thing.  It was silly because it was something that is more important.  So I had to make a decision, what are the important things in my life that get in the way of my writing?
#1: My Family

Why: Two children under the age of 3, a wife who works full time (or will again after her maternity leave ends in 11-½ months), two dogs that need walking and a zillion projects around the house that need to be done
Solution: Find time when they are not around to write or get away from it all.

#2: Work

Why:  I work a regular 9-5 (okay 8:15-4:30) job.  My work load isn't that great and I do sneak in a chance to write now and then, actually way too much and I'm afraid I could get busted especially because our computers are apparently heavily monitered, which I doubt.
Solution: Feel that I am getting enough writing done that I don't need to do any at work, save work for work and do a little bit of research/networking on breaks from work.

#3: Sleep

Why: I like my sleep, eight to nine hours of uninterupted sleep keeps me sane, anything less makes me irritable, inattentive and overly dependant on stimuli (coffee/sugar don't worry, nothing too damaging).
Solution: Well our daughter is now just over two weeks old so am I getting (anything close to) eight hours of sleep a night?  Hell no, why don't I just get up at 6 a.m. and write?  She gets up then anyway and therefor I'm awake and by the time I'd get back to sleep it would be time to get up anyways.
Excuse: I'm not awake enough to be productive.
Suck it Up: I have lots written down that hasn't been put to type so I don't even really have to think and I'm sure after some dedication and getting used to being up at 6 a.m. this will change.

What am I really giving up in the longrun?  I may have to go to bed a little earlier, so what, miss some TV watching?  The kids should be in bed by 7-8 anyways and I'll still get some cuddle time with the wife.  What I am really giving up is sleeping longer in the morning, it's a habit, and a bad one and if I want to take my life and my writing more seriously it's time to grow up act like a man with two kids, a family, a real job and a passion for writing.

Besides, someday my snooze button is gonna hit me back!

-----

So I really want to sign off every blog with the same thing.  I sign my books, if they aren't too personalized, Thanks for Reading.  I thought it is kind of lame but when I try anything else it just doesn't feel the same.  I gave it some serious consideration and I am going to make it my Thing.  First of all it says two things, thanks for reading my book, and thanks for reading in general.  I think that the art of reading is fading.  There are many entertainment portals these days and I'm not sure of the actual stats, I'm sure that reading isn't very high on any of those lists.  As an "entertainer" in that field I just want to say, thanks for chosing this medium for your entertainment needs and chosing me specifically to fulfill them.  So to all that ever have or will ever read anything,

Thanks for Reading!

D. Ryan Leask
Author of Counting Down the Storm
and other unpublished/unfinished works

No comments:

Post a Comment