COUNTING DOWN THE STORM (Temporarily Unavailable) A Novella by D. Ryan Leask
For two days the storm has taken over the city, and two people's lives. A man convinces himself that his life is worthless when his lover leaves him for another man. Alone and depressed, he allows his life to sink into the bowels of civilization. When a wife and mother discovers that her husband is having an affair she abandons logic and gives in to the perilous abyss of jealousy and revenge.
Re-Launch Tentatively Scheduled for Oct 17th:
¦Goodreads - For All E-Readers ¦Smashwords - For All E-Readers ¦Diesel E-Books Store - E-Pub ¦iTunes - For Your iPad/iPhone/Mac¦ ¦Kobo - For Your Kobo¦Sony - For Your Sony E-Reader¦Barnes & Noble - For Your Nook¦Direct From the Author - Mobi E-Pub or pdf¦

Friday, April 8, 2011

From Moleskin to Microchips, getting started again

Would you read a story that started with

I was just finishing up a case I was working on, the case was scotch and I'd just about gotten to the bottom of it...


After spending time looking over all of my old notebooks filled with fragments of stories and getting frustrated with where I am with my serial killer story I have decided to take some time to move
Richard Babcock and the Case of the Hollywood Starlet
from moleskin to microchips.  I'm kind of excited too.  I forgot how far I had actually gotten with this story.  I only wrote it when I needed something to lighten the mood when I was doing darker stuff.

Synopsis:
Richard Babcock is a stereo-typical Hollywood detective, drunk, down on his luck and broke.  He's a throwback to the 1940s but 20 years too late and 1960s Hollywood is not the same place for a Film Noir reject.  A famous Hollywood Starlet stumbles across his path and solicits his help in trying to find out who is trying to kill her and why.

Something told me it was a good time to head back to 1175 Vermont, walk into my office and tell Miss Movie-star where to put her ten grand, that was the part of me that was almost a new paint job on my old ford.  But who was I kidding?  My life wasn't worth ten grand, she got a bargain.
At some point this Hollywood Princess ends up having to stay at Babcocks office.

"Mr. Babcock!" She furiously pulled the coat around her shoulders.  I noticed her dress folded neatly on top of a small white suitcase.  "Do you not have any respect for a Ladies Privacy?"
"With all due respect, lady, this is my office and that's my bed your sleeping on."
Complete with car chases even, wow!
I helped her stuff the few things she had in her bag then grabbed a few odds and ends (scotch) of my own.  We ran out the back and tossed the stuff in her trunk.  I heard a car brake hard and looked.  It was the same Lincoln that followed me from the Roosevelt.
"Get in!" I ordered and yanked the driver's door open got in, started the car and threw it into reverse in one fluid motion.  She was seated but hadn't even gotten her door closed.  "Hold on!" I barked and raced backwards towards the offending car.
Anyway, hope this was a tease and not a bore!

Later
D.

No comments:

Post a Comment