COUNTING DOWN THE STORM (Temporarily Unavailable) A Novella by D. Ryan Leask
For two days the storm has taken over the city, and two people's lives. A man convinces himself that his life is worthless when his lover leaves him for another man. Alone and depressed, he allows his life to sink into the bowels of civilization. When a wife and mother discovers that her husband is having an affair she abandons logic and gives in to the perilous abyss of jealousy and revenge.
Re-Launch Tentatively Scheduled for Oct 17th:
¦Goodreads - For All E-Readers ¦Smashwords - For All E-Readers ¦Diesel E-Books Store - E-Pub ¦iTunes - For Your iPad/iPhone/Mac¦ ¦Kobo - For Your Kobo¦Sony - For Your Sony E-Reader¦Barnes & Noble - For Your Nook¦Direct From the Author - Mobi E-Pub or pdf¦

Friday, June 3, 2011

My WIP

Originally this blog post was going to be about specific tips to uploading your e-book to smashwords & amazon.  I have decided to put off that post until I know for sure that everything has gone perfectly for all of the outlets Smashwords sends to.  I'd hate to give bad information so instead I am going to tell you about the wierdness that is:

Death By Putts

My current WIP.

It all started with a cheeky idea I had, write a book that no publisher/agent or possibly editer would want.  I write books about killing people, best way to achieve this is by killing them.  The MC of the story would then have to be a writer.  I'm a writer, hey look at that, I could fashion the character around myself, a few changes (my MC does not have a family) then try to figure out how I may be without those changes.

That was kind of my starting point.  The story goes that a semi-successful writer (makes just enough money to live without having to work  a day job), who has a long series of stories based on a serial killer named Gavin Petters suddenly gets dropped by his publisher after they aquire a christian publishing house run by coincedentally a Gavin Peters.  He has used a pen name for all of the books and the publisher had managed to get ownership of the name.  His agent and even his editor help to seal his fate of never being able to write another book under that name again.

Unsucessful and getting continuously screwed by his former publisher and even his lawyer he has no one to turn to except the grand-daughter of his cleaning lady, Ming.  Not only does she turn out to be a big fan of his work but also has a perverse sexual desire for the main character.

The story is interlaced with works written by the MC, Ed Putts (see why he writes under a pen name?) both from his Gavin Petters series as well as other attempts.  He uses writting to try to divert his anger and sexual frustrations, starting by writing about murdering his agent, publisher and editer.

Ming plays with his mind and his sexual desires leading him to attempt to prove to her that he is as much of a man as Gavin Petters.

-----
This story is chunky and weird so far but I think it will work once all of the bits are put together.  Currently Ed is writing a bit where he is actually going to kill Gavin Petters, who just happens to come to Calgary after his random murder matrix sends him there.  Ming is kind of the loose end in all of this.  Her character is far more complex than I originally intended, and far more dangerous.  She scares me.

I also want to portray Ed as a Putz and lighten things up but it is just getting so dark I don't know if I can do it.  Over all Death By Putts is turning out to be a very, very strange write that I can barely control. 

I'm at almost 22,000 words so far. (Thanks #WordMongering on Twitter)

Thanks for Reading

D. Ryan Leask

3 comments:

  1. An intriguing concept with a lot of interweaving threads. Do you have a word total target?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hm..? I can relate to the watching to see how smash words turns out. I just need to watch a few others wade into that pool and then, when they don't get eaten by sharks I'll be wading in myself.

    well actually I've got to edit my current project a bit... you know but the shark food idea sounded cooler.

    grand writing to ya, cheers ~ @Uva_Be

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to plot idea, very interesting. I'd like to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete