COUNTING DOWN THE STORM (Temporarily Unavailable) A Novella by D. Ryan Leask
For two days the storm has taken over the city, and two people's lives. A man convinces himself that his life is worthless when his lover leaves him for another man. Alone and depressed, he allows his life to sink into the bowels of civilization. When a wife and mother discovers that her husband is having an affair she abandons logic and gives in to the perilous abyss of jealousy and revenge.
Re-Launch Tentatively Scheduled for Oct 17th:
¦Goodreads - For All E-Readers ¦Smashwords - For All E-Readers ¦Diesel E-Books Store - E-Pub ¦iTunes - For Your iPad/iPhone/Mac¦ ¦Kobo - For Your Kobo¦Sony - For Your Sony E-Reader¦Barnes & Noble - For Your Nook¦Direct From the Author - Mobi E-Pub or pdf¦

Monday, January 28, 2008

My path to becoming a writer 5-October

Some of you may not know why or how I started writing and I thought I'd give a little history etc. Here is a little write up I did for my writers meetup group I belong to:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've dreamed of being a writer since I was a kid, I loved writing stories and just letting my imagination take off. I was also an avid reader having read my first "Grown-Up" book at about age 9, it was "The Eagle has Landed" by Jack Higgins that for whatever reason was in the Junior High section of my school library.

I drifted away from writing as my life got in the way, then I started a job that involved a lot of travelling and I started again but never really took it seriously. When I stopped travelling I really missed writing and started again writing in little notebooks on the bus on my way to and from work. I joined the meetup group in hopes of getting my butt in gear and taking my writing more seriously. My goal... to make a career out of writing fiction novels, I know it's a bit like dreaming of becoming a professional athlete or a Hollywood movie star, but I keep thinking that people that do that have talent and perserverance, I think I have talent and I can gain perserverance so why can't I follow my dreams.

With the help of Kathleen I am starting on this journey, publishing my first story a short story called, "Counting Down the Storm" which I am hoping to have out before the end of October (It's in editing right now). I am also in the middle of writing three novels (when I get ideas I have to just let them out!) and work on them depending on my mood.

This is my goal, to write three books in a row that make $50,000, if I can do that I'm going to make the big step of quitting my day job and be a full time writer, which will be nice because right now I am having a lot of trouble finding the time to type (not write, I am doing that, just getting my words from my notepad to my computer is the issue).

So what am I writing? (There an ecclectic bunch!)

"To Beat the Band" - A small town band from the early eighties that for fifteen years has been dormant finds themselves thrown into the limelight when they are re-discovered in the Grunge Rock era and struggle to pull themselves back together after all these years apart as well as the struggles of new found fame.

"Richard Babcock and the Case of the Hollywood Starlette" - The last of the film Noir Detectives, a down and out alchoholic private eye must help a famous movie star discover who is trying to kill her while at the same time fighting his own inner demons.

"Framed: The Story of Henry James Smith (A Killer)" - A tabloid reporter begins writing a book on a Serial Killer who framed others for the murders of his victims and ends up getting more involved than he had bargained for. I have a million other ideas floating around in my head too but I need to finish at least one of these completely before I chase down my other thoughts.

A little about me

Favourite Book - "The World According to Garp" - John Irving, just something about the Character of Garp that I really associate with. It was after reading this book that caused me to pick up a pen again and start writing for the first time since High School.

What am I reading right now? - As little as possible, I am a bit OCD with books and have to focus on my writing.

What inspires me? - The world around me, anything I see can bring me an idea or fuel my current projects. All I have to do is see something and ask myself "What If". For instance, my inspiration for "To Beat the Band" is a band that formed in my High School, they are nothing like the band in my story, but one day I just thought, what if they were discovered now? What would happen? And a story was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment